metals and non-metals
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF METALS AND NON-METALS
- PHYSICAL STATE
- METALS - Amost All metals ARE SOLID AT ROOM TEMPERATURE .MERCURY IS AN EXCEPTION BECAUSE IT IS KNOWN TO OCCUR IN A LIQUID STATE AT OR NEAR ROOM TEMPERATURE
- NON-METALS - ALMOST ALL NON-METALS ARE SOLID OR GASES AT ROOM TEMPRATURE .
- BROMINE IS THE ONLY NON - METAL THAT IS LIQUID STATE AT ROOM TEMPERATUIRE .
- METALS - ' LUSTRE ' OR A SHINY SURFACE IS APROPERTY OF MOST METALS .
- NON-METALS - ALMOST ALL NON-METALS ARE HAVE DULL SURFACE .
AS MOST FO THEM OCCUR AS POWERS AND GASES , THEY CANNOT BE POLISHED LIKE METALS . GRAPHITE (A FORM OF CARBON ) AND IODINE DO SHOW SOME LUSTRE .
- METALS - MOST METALS ARE WHITE OR SHILVERY - GREY . THERE ARE, HOWEVER , A FEW EXCEPTIONS. FOR EXAMPLE , GOLD IS YELLOW AND COPPER IS REDDISH-BROWN.
- NON-METALS - SOME NON-METALS ARE COLOURLESS WHILE SOME ARE COLOURED .
- METALS - Most of the metals are hard but some are in exception SODIUM and POTASSIUM are so soft that they can be cut with a knife.
- NON-METALS - Non-metals are soft but DIAMPND is a form of carbon ,is an exception .It is the hardest supstance known in the world.
- METALS - Most of the metals are beaten into thin sheets or foils.GOLD , SILVER and ALUMINIUM are the common example of this.
- NON-METALS - Non-metals are cannot be beaten into thin sheets or foils.
- METALS - Most of the metals are can be covert into thin wires because they have a property that they can be convert into thin wires.COPPER, ALUMINIUM , GOLD and SILVER are the common example of this .
- NON-METALS - Non-metals are cannot be convert into yhin wires .
- THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY
- METALS - Metals are good conductor of heat ,they are used for making cooking utesils. SILVER is the best conductor of heat , after sivler, COPPER is the good conductor of heat .
- ELECTRICAL CONDUCTIVITY
- METALS - Metals are good conductor of electricity and they are used for making electrical wires and cables .
- NON-METALS - Non-metals nare poor conductor of good conctor of electricity but graphite is a good conductor of electricity which is in exception.
- METALS - When metal object struck with a hard object it make ringing sound because metals have a property of ringing sound .Objects like WIND CHIMES and BELLS make use to produce ringing sound
- NON-METALS - Non-metals dosenot produce ringing sound when they struck with hard object .